Lexus Wrexham Open to return in 2026 between October 18-25 after success of this year’s tournament!
Pictured: A capacity crowd of over 600 people were joined by Wrex to cheer on Mimi Xu to vistory at the Lexus Wrexham Open Finals Day last Sunday Picture: James Baylis.
The Lexus Wrexham Open is returning to North Wales next year after the huge success of the biggest women’s tennis tournament, outside of the grass court season, to be played in the UK in 2025. The 2026 tournament will take place on the indoor courts at Wrexham Tennis & Padel Centre between October 18-25. The ITF World Tennis Tour event successfully brought world-class tennis to the city last month.
Featuring British and international tennis stars, the event attracted excellent support throughout the week, including a capacity crowd of more than 600 for finals day. They saw Welsh ace Mimi Xu impressively crowned singles champion ahead of the 18-year-old from Swansea also winning the doubles title after partnering Ella McDonald to victory. It was the first time the prestigious event had been played here in Wrexham, with the tournament replacing the Lexus W100 Shrewsbury in the LTA Performance Competitions Calendar.
Dave Courteen, tournament promoter, said: “We are delighted to announce that the Lexus Wrexham Open will be returning next year and will be held in the same week as this year’s event between October 18-25.
“It has quickly become established in the city with the local community showing fantastic enthusiasm for the tournament and the other events we held alongside it during a busy and enjoyable week. We saw higher attendances than the tournament has ever attracted before, and that helped make it an incredible success.”
Dave added: “We are hugely grateful to Tennis Wales, Wrexham Council and the Welsh Government for their support which has been first class. The team at Wrexham Tennis & Padel Centre embraced the event, as did the local community. Many people signed up to be volunteers and did a great job, while children from local schools enjoyed being part of the ball crew.
“The support the event received from the local business community was also excellent, with so many businesses keen to be involved. For it all to be capped off by Mimi Xu’s brilliant success as a Welsh player was the ultimate fairytale ending to a fantastic week.”
The Lexus Wrexham Open was the highest-level tennis tournament played in Wales for almost 30 years, since the Rover British Clay Court Championships in Cardiff in 1996. The tournament played an important part in the development of a number of up and coming British players, leading to an all-British singles final between Mimi Xu and Mika Stojsavljevic.
Having spent much of the week in Wrexham, Iain Bates, the LTA’s head of women’s tennis, was impressed with the success of the event.
"From a British tennis perspective, the Lexus Wrexham Open was a great success, both on and off the court,” said Iain. "These events can be so valuable to our player base, especially those looking to make a breakthrough to the next stage of their career - whether that's making the transition from junior to senior level or closing in on a place in the top 100.
"It's very encouraging to see our players make the most of the opportunities provided - four singles quarter-finalists, three Brits in the doubles final - and two of our most promising younger players making the final.
"For Mimi and Mika, playing up at this level, reaching the final, gaining significant boosts to their rankings and ultimately having the opportunity to compete for the title in front of a home crowd - it was everything we want these events to be for our player group.
"Shrewsbury was always a stand-out event on the calendar outside the grass-court season and to see how well the event was embraced in Wrexham was fantastic.
"As always, this was an incredibly well-run tournament, the players greatly appreciate the efforts that Dave Courteen and his team make, and it's brilliant to see the engagement with local businesses and community, and great spectator support all week.”